Friday, July 12, 2013

Pink in all this gray

A few months ago I started preparing for our trip to Lithuania.  I bought every warm thing possible. Snow boots, jackets, snow pants, gloves, hats, etc.  I am a warm weather girl.  Give me summer any day!


This will be me, minus the smile, in a few months.  Remember I live on a hill.
*FYI skiing was a form of transportation before it became a sport.

While at Khol's with my wonderful mother-in-law and sisters-in-law I found a coat that was affordable.
I, actually, found two coats that were like $20 bucks each (I love off season stuff).
One gray and one PINK.
Which one did I end up getting?
PINK, duh?


My coat looks a little like the one show, ok a lot.

I got this coat because to me winter can get so blah and sad. You end up wearing the same top everyday.
No one ever sees what you have under your jacket.  It is, too, cold to take off any of your clothes*.
*personal opinion, I have mine and you have yours.

So now that the back story is all set up for you here is the front story, or whatever it is called.
Today was a rainy day.
I do not like rain.

It means you stay inside all day and do quiet things.  We live on the second floor.
We have wood floors. A few days ago we tried having a dance party (I play music and the kids dance, stomp, hip hop, spin, and do various forms of break dancing) and it was so loud I thought the neighbor downstairs was going to call the police.  The kids rocking out to 1D can get rowdy.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
It was raining and my coat can work as a raincoat.  It is water repellent.  I put it on and my fancy striped rain boots (a special woman got me these for my birthday a few years ago), and off I went to the grocery store.  I am trying to shop once a month and get the extras as needed (milk, fruit, etc), we shall see how it goes.

I needed to finish before Mr. Right went off an adventure.  I do not want to brave the hill alone with the stroller and kids unless I am going to church. Seriously, that hill is a beast to climb.

I quickly realized no one really wears rain boots or rain coats. No one really wears bazam PINK, either.  I felt a little like Elle Woods (Legally Blonde) at Harvard.  Her in her pink suit with her pink laptop.  I already stick out with my dark hair, dark eyes, and dark skin.  Everyone in the neighborhood will know that weird American family who has, too, many kids with the lady in her pink coat.  People stare at us all the time.

No one who is walking or riding the bus has a double stroller.  Most people have one kid, MAYBE, two.  I have seen two families with more than 2 kids.  One had twins plus a kid and the other was like ours.  I think it is because people with more than one kid have a car.  By that point they decide a car might be an easier form of transportation.  We are getting very good at getting off and on the bus.  No one has been left behind.

So far I have enjoyed it here.  My cooking is getting better. I made, edible, from scratch french fries and hamburgers.  Best part was EVERYONE ate all their food. I was surprised.  James wanted more, but there were no leftovers.  I owe it all to the internet (Thank you, Al Gore*family joke) and Imim (store, I think that is how you spell it).  This store is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say that because it is huge.  No stores here are huge.  The local grocery stores are the size of convenient stores.  I bet the local QT is bigger than some of the local grocery stores.  This store was at a mall called Panorama.  I want to go back.  I found spices of every kind, popcorn, tortillas, good muesli, sliced lunch meat, millions of breads (gooooooood), cheap clothes, makers, and tons of fruits and veggie choices.
I think I am in love with this place.  It is the Costso of Vilnius (more like Walmart, but in this city it is a Costco).  I want to go back and see what they have.  I will go with no children and buy everything.
Only bad thing is it is a bus ride away and than the hill.


This is the outside of the building.  It is a nice place.  Built in the 80s.  We are like around the same age.  

FUN FACT:
The Lithuanian government decides when it will turn on the heat for the city.  It is usually when there are 3 days of 0 below in a row.


Fun!!!!  Am I looking forward to this?  About as excited as I am to cut my finger on a two edged knife.
BTW, who invented a two edged knife?
Here I was cutting meat (it was frozen, I was thawing it, I have no microwave, enough said) and the knife I was using was double bladed.  It looked like a normal bread knife.  When I use a knife I tend to put one finger on top of the back of the knife for support.  The knife supported a slice into my finger.  I was not happy.  It hurt.  Flesh wounds always hurt the worst.  Boooo on double sided knives.

I guess I have shared enough randomness, but I think I will share one last thing before I go.
I have the coolest kids and the best Heavenly Father ever.  My husband is off for a few days.  I started to cry when he left.  How would you feel if he was your only source of communication (other than google translate, this does not always work.  I asked the lady at the craft store if she had any elastic and I think I asked if she had any condoms, yeah?!?).  So I was crying and my son woke up.  He came over and asked what was wrong.  I said I was sad.  He told me he was the man of the house and he would help me.  He gave me some hugs (this is where Heavenly Father came in to work) and than James began telling me jokes.  Jokes he made up on the spot.  Ones that make you laugh because you have nothing else to do.

Knock, knock. 
Who's there? 
Banana. 
Banana, who?
Banana Hotwheel.

Knock, Knock.
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange, who?
Orange brains.

We had a good laugh.  Then we went into the kitchen and had some juice and a cookie.  We got to talking about making potions.  He told me all about them.  I asked him how he knew about that.  He smiled and said, "It is all in my head."  That made me smile.  I asked him about love potions and what they did. 
 "If one person drinks it and than the other they fall in love."
So smart.  I than told him about how his dad asked me to marry him and where we were married.  His faced lite up as I told him all the details.  It meant a lot for me to share with him.  It made me love his dad even more. I still miss him, but my face is full of smiles.  I am glad that my children can be my friends.  Even when no one else is around that can talk to me they can.  I can share important stuff about me with them.

I would have never had this opportunity if I had not been willing to spend a few minutes to talk with him with no one else around.  It is a memory I will always cherish.  I hope he does, too.  I am not alone.  God shows me that all the time.  I am glad to be reminded of it to.  I get lost in the everyday that it is nice to slow down and just be sometimes.  Live in the moment, own it, and love it.
 





1 comment:

Suzanne C said...

You never cease to amaze me! Now you know how I have felt about YOU on so many occasions. Heavenly Father sure knew what he was doing didn't he? We'll just start calling you Pinky ;) Love and hugs from the desert!