Monday, September 14, 2009

Being prepared

Yesterday I received a huge testimony on food storage. So it is Sunday afternoon and the water goes out in our neighborhood and another one next door. A main pipe line burst and it was going to take several hours to fix. So we had no water for anything. Yikes...not because we had bottled waters. This was really good because we were having company over and we could still provide refreshments for them. Then we had another problem how were we going to use the bathroom? No one could flush the toilets and Adam's mom told us all we had to go at the church when we went for Visiting Teaching interviews and a fireside. Than my mother-in-law became truly inspired. She had these bottles of soda that were filled with water in her basement. She told us each to take two to our bathrooms and when we needed to flush or wash our hands we could use that water. So we had water to drink, bottled, and go to the restroom. I wondered how many people had nothing and were in a bit of a crisis due to this event happening on a Sunday afternoon. We were taken cared of because she had been prepared. My mother-in-law is one of my role models. She always amazes me. I would have never thought of refilling the toilet tank so that I could keep flushing the toilet when needed. I think she is so smart. Let this be a lesson that emergencies can happen at anytime, anywhere, and any day. Be prepared for those little unexpected moments.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Glad you had what you needed!

Suzanne C said...

Yep, I agree you've got yourself a pretty cool Mom-In-Law there. I'm glad you have her too! ;-)

Erin Gibbons said...

So you just pour the water into the tank? You can also just pour a lot of water into the bowl really fast and force it down, which is what we do when we have toilet issues. So I was trying to picture you pouring water from a soda bottle with enough power to shoot the stuff down the...well, chute. Then I read the tank part, and it seemed a lot easier. I never knew that! You have to tell me how it works because Shea just has me pour a huge bucket of water into the toilet really fast! Ha ha. Not that I need to do that too often, but hey, in an emergency situation you never know what you'll need to do! Love ya!

PS, (Not really since I haven't actually stopped typing yet.) I bought a whole bunch of bottled water, four 24pks. this last week, it made me think of you.